Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Agreeing With Coontz on Marital Satisfaction

I never thought the day would come that I would completely agree with Stephanie Coontz. When I have read her books and essays, on average, I am about 30 - 40% in sync with her thinking. Her recent op-ed in the NY Times was tremendous. Titled "Till Children Do Us Part", the essay describes research of the Cowans which is fascinating. Marital satisfaction decreases with the arrival of each child; this we know. According to Coontz the Cowans found, "The average drop in marital satisfaction was almost entirely accounted for by the couples who slid into being parents, disagreed over it, or were ambivalent about it. Couples who planned or equally welcomed the conception were likely to maintain or even increase their marital satisfaction after the child was born."

I did not find myself disagreeing with anything that Coontz said. In fact I benefited greatly from her essay and I highly recomend it.
Click here to enjoy it as well.

2 comments:

therapydoc said...

Thanks for the link. It's probably true, that if a couple is in sync about most planned events, the plan will work out in a mutually satisfying or mutually dis-satisfying way. Now, getting two egos to agree is another story.

Dr. Alan M. Singer said...

Hi therapydoc, thanks so much for stoppin by at the old website. Whenever I look at your terrific blog, I learn something new.